Hi all! I would like to thank you for showing interest in the acting portion of Freshman Cabaret 2016! For your audition, I would like you to prepare a 1 to 1.5 minute monologue. This should be memorized. If you have trouble finding a monologue on your own (no worries) I have attached three examples to the audition packet, for you to use (or find them on the Auditions page of this website). If you do choose to pick your own monologue, please bring a copy of it with you to the audition in case we need to cue you. Freshman Cabaret 2016 contains comedic skits, so it would be in your best interest to prepare a comedic monologue, but feel free to do whatever you want. I may ask you to perform your monologue again, so be ready! If I do ask you to perform your monologue again, it is NOT because you performed badly, it is because I want to see how you take direction. If you are participating in the singing portion of Freshman Cabaret 2016 then your singing and acting audition will take place at the same time.
Once the callback list is up, you’ll see which skits you have been called back for. There will not be available copies of the skit, and this is for a specific reason. During your callback you will be doing a cold reading. This is when the director will give you the script, and you will have seen it for the first time. I will assign you a character to read for, and don’t be alarmed if I ask you to read for multiple different characters. Just remember that everyone has the same knowledge about the script as you, and just try your best!
In terms of regular rehearsals, I have few big rules but the ones I do have are very important!
- Come on time and ready to work! We have little time together and a skit cannot fully function without one of its cast members.
- Please be respectful of fellow cast mates. Not everyone is on the same acting level as you, and we are all learning something through this process.
- Please don’t hesitate to ask questions! Whether it’s about a line or blocking, I’d be happy to help you!
- Acting rehearsals of Freshman Cabaret 2016 are a no phone zone. This is not to be mean, but reinforcing the idea that we have little time together, and we don’t want to get distracted. You may use your cellphones to take notes if you do not have a writing utensil and paper, but just always be sure to ask.
- Have fun!! This process is for you to cherish and remember. Forget about your worries and troubles and have fun in rehearsal! Remember, I am always here if you need to talk.